Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Off Day


Yesterday was an off day.

On the one hand, I got some really great news! There's this company that I've been wanting to write for for, like...forever. And, yesterday, I got an email from them saying they are offering me a contract! YAY!!! I can't tell you how excited I was...kinda.

Here's the kinda part: I had a migraine yesterday. Yep, a migraine. Now, something you may not know about me yet is that I, unfortunately, am a headache girl. It's ridiculous how often I get a headache. Like, every day I have at least a hint of a headache. I have allergies and I attribute most of my headaches to them. Then there's been the at least two other periods of my life where my hormone level was off, no comments from the peanut gallery, and I had horrible migraines then. The funny thing is that it only took me, oh, 8 months to notice a pattern with these horomonal migraine headaches, where I actually vomited so much that blood vessels in my EYES broke. And, it's really not that funny, actually...But, once my hormone level was adjusted, the migraines eased.

That brings us up to about a year ago, when one of my husband's partners thought it would be fun to push between Hubby and I as we were ICE SKATING in Utah at the Olympic Oval. I took the most violent fall EVER, hit my head on the ice, and ended up with a concussion. Someday when I don't have anything else to write about, I'll tell you about my EMT people. I think they were people...Of course after the concussion, more headaches and my memories of skating in the Olympic Oval were forever tainted.

But, yesterday was the first migraine I've had in a long time. At first I thought, "This isn't a migraine. I'm just going to keep going like it's a regular headache." Then I get in the car to drive to Beaumont and wonder if I'm going to have to pull over to vomit or if I can make it home. So, I spent most of the afternoon and all evening on the couch, catching up on DVR'd shows.

So, when I got the email about the writing work, I wanted to jump up and down and run through my house cheering, but that would've sent me straight to the bathroom. So, instead, I just laid on the couch and tried real hard to smile and think happy thoughts. With the light off it was hard to tell how successful I was.

Yeah, it was an off day. Such an off day, that when I went to pick my granddaughter up to take her to her mom for "Tumble Tots," which is why I had to drive to Beaumont, the day got even more off.

When I went out to the car, I noticed the booster car seat was gone. Let me stop here and tell you that Hubby and I switched cars yesterday so that I could get his car inspected - yes, it was late - and so he could get new tires on my car. I couldn't find the booster seat, so I had to settle for a toddler seat. This seat is really too small, but, hey, I had a migraine, so everyone should be thankful that I thought to even put a seat in the car. And, in my book, some protection is better than no protection.

So, off I go to pick up C, horrible headache, tummy churning. I get her, put her in the seat, ("Why you bwing dis seat? Dis seat for babies."), and head to Beaumont. As I make the first turn onto the highway, I hear this little concerned cry from C. I look back and she is laying completely over on her side in the seat! I panicked, pulled into a parking lot and sat her upright again. Then, I start driving again. Remember, I have a migraine, so it doesn't dawn on me yet that the reason the seat fell over is because the seat belt strap was too loose. So, we repeat this scene, seat falls over, I pull over to fix it, 3 more times, until I finally realize the strap is too loose and tighten it. By this time we are five minutes from our destination and C has her legs braced against the back of my chair and is holding onto her seat for dear life.

My take:...yeah, it was an off day...

What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment