Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Parody of Errors


I hope you all had a great Columbus Day, I know I did. Honestly, the only reason I knew it was Columbus Day is that when I went to check the mail yesterday, there wasn't any, then I remembered, "Oh, yeah, it's Columbus Day." But, hey, kudos to you, CC, on, you know, finding the new world and all...most impressive. Plus, the low temperature here was 49 overnight!!! Heck, yeah! I even made red beans, rice, and cornbread for dinner last night: full-on fall mode. I may pull my boots out today. Before the temperatures return to high of 85 tomorrow.

Actually, I did have a good day yesterday. A few weeks ago, several of my closest friends and I started a Bible Study together. We're doing the Beth Moore study on James "Mercy Triumphs." I would tell you that it's a fantastic study, but, sorry, fantastic isn't strong enough. It's utterly amazing, wonderful, life-changing...if you're still not feeling like YOU wish you were doing this study, I'm sorry, because, I'm telling you, you'd love it.

What we're doing is we meet each week at a different lady's house. Some of us are kind of spread out home-wise, so we thought it'd be good for each of us to be the one to drive occasionally instead of just one or two people. I was all for that until yesterday, when I was the one having to drive, but fair is fair.

Anyway, two of us were supposed to meet at one friend's house who lives like two minutes from me, then I would drive the three of us and pick up another friend about 15 minutes on the way to the friend's house who was hosting yesterday. It was a fail-proof plan, you might think. Yeah, you'd think that if you still don't know me very well.

The problem happened when I didn't check my phone yesterday morning. Actually, I forgot to even bring my phone when I left the house. Now everyone, just calm down. I am a proud iPhone owner, I text, I talk on the phone, I check the weather, I am normal...in that way at least. But, first of all, I am not a morning person. Secondly, I really don't like to TALK on the phone that much. If I have something to talk about, that's fine, but just to stay on the phone like a teenager, negatory. That's why texting is my friend. Thirdly, if I am at home, I don't carry my phone around on me. I know I probably should, but I just don't. I'm usually busy doing something and lay it down somewhere, then have to have Son call it so I can find it. And, usually it's on vibrate, so everyone has to be super quiet so I can even HEAR it to find it. But, hey, sharpening my hearing, right?

Here's what happened: AC's son got sick and she had to make a doctor's appointment for him yesterday, which meant she couldn't go to Bible study. She sent me a text message saying AG was just going to meet at my house. She also tried to call me. Twice. Then, AG sent me a text to make sure she was just supposed to come to my house. She also tried to call. Twice. So, I leave my house at about 8:25 and think, I guess I should call AC and tell her I'm on my way. That's when I realized that I didn't have my phone. I'm at the stop sign of my edition as I'm pondering this very thing, when AG pulls into my edition as I'm pulling out. Never saw her. I was pondering, I told you. I'm only able to do 2 things at the same time before 10am. Pondering and driving.

I get to AC's house, walk in the door, to her saying, "Uh, apparently you didn't check your phone." Nope, sure didn't. So, AG had already called AC and told her that she had just passed me and that she'd turn around and come to her house. I was pretty embarrassed, but, thankfully, they thought it was funny. That's why they are my friends.

THEN, as if that wasn't enough crazy, we picked up TA in Beaumont, about 15 minutes away. On the way, AG says, how is BG, our other friend who lives in Beaumont, getting there? I say, I don't know, let's text her and see if she wants to meet us. We did, tried to call, but no response. So, after waiting for a few minutes, we get on the freeway to head to Mid-County, and what do you think happens? BG calls and says, "Oh, yes, yes, I want to ride with y'all!" So we tell her to get off at this certain exit and pull into the Chili's parking lot. Great plan. Except for the part where she missed the exit. So, she pulls into some random office building parking lot to wait for us. I have to circle back around and try to find her. It was pretty hilarious!

Anyway, we finally made it to TS's house and really did have a great study. I've never done a Beth Moore study before - yes, I know that's almost blasphemy - and it's SO GOOD!!!

My take: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PHONE BEFORE NOON!!! There IS life going on in the morning in some people's homes. Just not mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment