Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekend, oh Blessed Weekend


This weekend was just great. No really, no sarcasm there.

On Friday night, we went to the football game...blah, blah, got cremated, blah, blah, the band was great...same song, 10th verse...or something like 10th.

Then on Saturday, Riley had a hair cut appointment, then we went to lunch together, just the two of us. It was so nice. Apparently, he really does still like me. At least sometimes. When I let him pick the restaurant and pay. Ain't parenting grand?

Then we went home for a while, relaxed, I wrote a little, then I took him to the high school to get ready for their marching contest Saturday evening. And I went to watch one of my good friend"s Angie, sons play football. Wow!

So, I think these kids are 5th and 6th graders and all I can say is, we sure could've used them on varsity this year! The game was awesome! I yelled more at their game than I did at all our varsity games put together. Anyway, the game was the semi-finals, and they won so they play in the Super Bowl (HELLO!) next weekend. Shawn, Angie's husband, who is a nut, said they were going to get Super Bowl Ring Pops if they win. Ha! Hey, I wouldn't mind a Super Bowl Ring Pop.

Then, this is the part I'm most proud of: I drove all the way to McNeese State University, in the dark, by myself, and I didn't get lost!

Something you may not know about me yet, is that I have virtually NO sense of direction. None. Na da. Truly, Riley's sense of direction has been better than mine since he was in Kindergarten. And, I have trouble with maps. Once, I was in Dallas with a friend and I read the map upside down the entire time. We never found the hotel we were looking for.

However, I got map quest diections, pulled it up on the GPS on my phone AND got directions from Angie, who is from Lake Charles, and I made it!!!! Go me, go me...

So, the marching competition was the last one for this marching season and the band did amazing! All ones again! But something funny happened this time. The band got on the field and warmed up, then walked to their starting positions. The announcer announced the band, the drum majors did their salute, and the announcer said the usual, "Drum majors, is your band ready to take the field?" That's when we noticed half of the band's pit was missing.

If you're not a band person, first of all you're missing out, but you may not know what the pit is. It's the percussion instruments and auxillary stuff that is used on the sidleines, and the players don't march. Also, the drum majors podiums are there, too. Normally, anyway, but not Saturday night.

So, Mr. B., the band director, motions to the judges and everybody just stands there waiting. All I can think about is, "God, please don't let this be anyone in the band's fault, because life as they have known it will be over." Mr. B. just walked around on the field, encouraging the kids to relax, then finally here comes the trailer down the hill with the stuff. Everybody in the stands started clapping. I'm not sure if they were clapping because they found the stuff or because after all these years, we realized that you really can load a vehicle down like the Beverly Hillbillies did and it really will drive. Of course, the fishtailing almost threw the xylophone off, but not quite.

Anyway, some bands would've been totally freaked out by this little "hiccup," as Mr. B. called it later, but not our band. Nope, they went on to give a fantastic performance and, like I mentioned, received ones in everything from all the judges!!! I am so proud!!

My take: I love weekends! I love going out to support young people, cheering them on to be the best they can be in whatever talents God has given them. They're the future you know, and, again, I say the future looks bright!

Oh, yeah! How about that extra hour of sleep? Loved that!

No comments:

Post a Comment