Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Viva, Italia...Especially the Food Part


I think I'm a little better today.

I was able to breathe enough for a little bit of good sleep last night. It's amazing how much better you feel when you get good sleep...and how horrible you feel when you are up all night gasping for air. Welcome to my week...

Anyway, after some much needed sleep and antibiotics, I may be on the mend. I'm just going to take it easy here on the couch for one more day, then maybe return to the land of the living tomorrow. The good news is Hallmark Movie Channel is showing movies today that I've never seen. I am highly favored.

Since I have only ventured outside to take Son to school, and am kind of out of touch with the world as it is currently spinning, I don't have a lot to talk about today. So, I will talk about one of my favorite subjects: food.

Well, not really just FOOD, although that is definitely one of my favorite subjects. What I'd really like to talk about is one of my favorite restaurants: Maggiano's "Little Italy" Restaurant.

Now, you won't find a Maggiano's in my little town, but you can find them close, like in Houston, Dallas, bigger cities. If you couldn't tell by the name, it's Italian food, one of my favorites. I'm actually very intrigued by all things Italian. I love the food, the language, the romance. I've never been to Italy, but it's definitely on my "bucket list" of places to visit.

And, Maggiano's is such a cool place. You usually hear Frank Sinatra playing, unless there is live music going, and it's constantly buzzing with customers. In fact, if Hubby had not made reservations for Saturday night, we probably wouldn't have been able to eat there, the wait was 1.5 hours!

At Maggiano's, you'll see all kinds of people: old, young, couples, families, parties, romantic dinners. And the food? My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I've tried many of their dishes, but I guess my favorite is their spinach and chicken ravioli. It's amazing! Their lasagne is to die for as well. Maybe that's what almost killed me. Nah, I don't think so...

The other great thing about Maggiano's is that they have these combo specials. On Saturday, we ordered "Marco's Meal," which consists of an appetizer or 2 salads, 2 classic pasta entrees, and 1 dessert. Plus, you get 2 MORE CLASSIC PASTAS to take HOME!!! Oh, yes, you heard right. So, basically you get to eat Maggiano's for at least 2 meals. We stretched ours to 2.5 - I got what was left on Monday for lunch!!

Anyway, if I could wish for any restaurant to come to my little city...well, it'd probably be a tie between Chick-Fila-A and Maggiano's. But, as I was telling Hubby this very thing on Saturday night, as we sat taking in the food, people, and music all around us, (including some very loud ladies in the booth behind us), Hubby shared some poweful insight: if we were able to eat at Maggiano's all the time, it probably wouldn't be as special to us. And I think he's right.

My take: yes, Maggiano's is my favorite restaurant. I love everything about it. But, the truth is, the fact that it's Hubby and I's special place, where we go on weekend getaways, is what truly makes it special. Even though the food is great, it's the memories we make there that matter most. It's time that we take to get away from life for a little while and regroup as a couple. Making time for our relationship to grow will have a much stronger impact on our lives than the delectable pasta could ever have.

So, the next time you're in a big city, look for a Maggiano's. You'll love it!

What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment