Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's Beginning to Feel...Less Like Summer

Quick Update: yeah, still feel pretty yucky. Trying to decide whether to call the doctor, take the rest of about 3 different partial antibiotics I have in the medicine bucket, or just brave the storm with Dayquil, Nyquil and Sudafed PE...and lots of Kleenex.

Even though I am sick, like lots of other moms, I'm sure, I still have to drive Son to school in the mornings. I only get that opportunity until February, when he gets his license, so I'm happy to do it. So, when we stepped out into the garage this morning - him all dressed for school, me in my nightgown and sweat pants - we were met with a wondeful surprise - it was A LOT COOLER!!

Now, I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but, as I've mentioned, where I live, we basically have only 2 seasons: HOT and LESS HOT. And, I'm happy to tell you that I think the LESS HOT season is beginning!!! Yay! With visions of sweaters, boots, jackets, and scarves dancing in my head (honestly it could just be a combination of the congestion and medication), I'm really excited to start thinking about fall.

I mentioned yesterday that I had purchased some new decor over the weekend. If I survive my cold, I'm going to decorate this week. I'm also going to make my first batch of pumpkin bread - it's one of Son's favorites.

Also, I was very pleased to see that the grocery stores are stocking the Halloween cereals. Now, some of you may not know about the Halloween cereals - Count Chocula, which I've started with this fall, followed with the berry ones. I remember them very vividly from my childhood. They really aren't the world's best tasting breakfast cereals, but since I'm sick and in dire need of comfort food, I had a bowl of them this morning.

It's strange to me that sometimes some of the things we did as children, then do again as adults, don't seem to carry the same magic or awe as they did as children. For instance, Friday night, as we sat in the stifling heat, sweating to death at the football game, I turned to Hubby and asked, why do all my memories of football games as a child include Brother and I being wrapped up in heavy coats, stocking hats, mittens and blankets? To which he said, "It'll cool off." True, but not sure we'll be breaking out the blankets any time soon.

Nevertheless, fall is the beginning of my favorite time of year: the holidays! So, here's a fair warning: you're going to be hearing a lot about the holidays!

Well, my brain is starting to get fuzzy, probably time for more medicine, so I'll close for today. Hopefully, tomorrow I will return to the land of the living. Here's my take: when you're sick, you eat junk food, including a bowl of Count Chocula cereal, and lay on the couch and watch the Hallmark Movie Channel all day. It lessens the feeling that my head is going to explode.

What's your take? What do you do when you're sick?

1 comment:

  1. This post brought back memories for me....Franken Berry cereal!!! Yes, I ate it as a child and found it at our local HEB store last week. Needless to say, I am enjoying every bowl full. I decorated for fall this past weekend and am now ready for the cool weather....bring it on!!! And you know what I did when I was sick 2 weeks ago....sit on the couch & watch movies all day. After about 5 days, that stubborn cold was gone. Thanks for the memories in this blog....I'm ready for a bowl of Franken Berry's and maybe just once this season, we can sit at a game with a blanket (here's hoping!!). Love you :)))

    ReplyDelete