Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Does the Dress Make the Woman or the Woman Make the Dress

I have an event tomorrow night.

It's a gala for a local crisis pregnancy center that I volunteer for. It's one of my favorite organizations and the gala is always a fabulous event each year. It's a lot of WORK, because one of my best friends has been the event coordinator for the past few years and always asks me to help. I really enjoy working with her. I've always said that she and I are like peanut butter & jelly-very different skill sets, but, togther we are great!

So, as we've been meeting, planning, decorating, etc., guess what burning question still remains unanswered: What am I going to wear?

The event itself, being a "gala" and all, has traditionally been a fairly dressy event. But like so many events in the past few years, whether it's a fund raiser or an event at the theater, things are much more casual nowadays. Have you noticed that?

Actually, for some people, that realization might be a relief. But for me, it complicates things. Especially since I'm helping to give the event, you know? I mean, do I dress WAY up, making it clear that I am helping with the event or do I dress down a little and blend in? In my opinion, the dressing down , "blending in," is harder than dressing up. I think there is an art to dressing down and still looking put together. An art that I'm not sure I master all the time, I'm sad to say.

So, it really comes down to one question: Do I wear something I already have, one of several outfits that would work, or do I use this event as an excuse to buy something new?

Early on, I had decided I really NEEDED something new, knowing full well that I really don't. What's that about, anyway?

My take is that, as women, when we're going to something special, we want to "feel" special, too. And what makes us feel more special than a new outfit? Hmm...there may be something, but I sure can't think of it at the moment. Or, it could be that I just like to shop and love clothes. Uh-huh, a definite possibility.

Well, you'll be happy to know that I decided yesterday to wear a dress I already have. It's one of my favorite dresses, a Michael Kors dress that I got for a great price at one of his outlet stores. And, by the way, I do feel special in it!

Please leave a comment today, if you don't mind. I'm trying to fix the settings to where everyone can comment, even without a Google account. Thanks!

What's your take?

3 comments:

  1. Have fun! Sometimes we get so worried about the look that we forget that, or I do. You're going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The woman makes the dress. Hanging out with you in overalls would even be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll look great!!!! I agree with Teresa, donate the money you would've spent on a new dress back to the charity. Hope you have a great time. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete