Monday, September 10, 2012

The Weekend with a Little Paint

This weekend was really a good one. Well, all except for the football part.

Now, the band was great! The Snake Pit, this super band group Son is a part of, was amazing! I'll try to post a video before Friday. The actual football part of the football game...yeah, pretty awful. The score was 45-0 by HALFTIME. One guess as to who had the 0. Oh, well, there's always next week...God, help us...

Then last night I went on a date with Hubby. We did a little shopping, went out to eat, then to see the movie, The Words. It was a great movie! It was about a writer, so, of course, I couldn't wait to see it. I'm not going to give the plot away, but a struggling writer finds a manuscript. Plus, it's kind of a story within a story. Anyway, it was well done and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

After church, we ate with friends at a new seafood restaurant. Then, came the painting part. If you've read my posts about the hurricanes, you know that we had lots of damage to our house and even did some extra painting. Part of that painting sort of...never got completely finished (that's the most polite way I can think of to say it.)

Personally, I was looking forward to hanging out on the couch this afternoon and watching the Jane Doe marathon on the Hallmark movie channel. After all, Sunday IS the day of rest, is it not? So, I turn on the TV, grab my favorite blanket, and am just getting all nestled in, when Hubby appears in his "painting attire." He has painting attire, you ask? Oh, yes! It consists of a white button-down shirt and khaki pants, with about 25 years worth of paint stains on them.

So, immediately, I'm faced with a dilemma: do I continue with my plan of marathon movie afternoon, or do I at least OFFER to help Hubby? It's not that I even mind painting, because I don't. But, sometimes, Hubby can be less than patient when it comes to these kinds of things and the last thing I wanted was to end the weekend with an argument.

Still, Hubby is SO BUSY right now at work, that for him to take this time to work on the house was a very nice gesture. I knew it would mean a lot to him for me to offer my help. So, I decided to bite my lip and offer to help. About 3 hours later, we were finished and Hubby was very excited that "it hadn't taken long at all." hmm...are you talking to me?

My take is this: in marriage, sometimes it's important to lay aside our best-laid plans to help out the one we love. Even though I didn't get my "day of rest," I was able to show my husband that I am willing to pitch in and help him when he needs me. And that makes me feel pretty good.

So, I'd say it's been a successful weekend, here on the home front. AND, as if some sort of reward, all the Jane Doe movies I missed while painting, I've already seen. God loves me!!

What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment