Thursday, September 6, 2012

Refrigerator...ah, Sweet Progress

I got a new refrigerator this week.

It's amazing how excited one can get over something new, isn't it? And it's a NICE refrigerator, OK? I mean, it has every bell and whistle known in the refrigerator galaxy. It's almost intimidating, know what I mean?

In our defense, here's our refrigerator story...

Before purchasing this ultra-refrigerator, we owned 2 very sub-ultra refrigerators. The one in the kitchen had been mine, before marrying Hubby, and I bought it in 1994. For those of you who need a little help, that makes this refrigerator 18 years old. Now it works, OK, but not well. The light was burned out inside (never could figure out how to change the bulb), so you can't really see anything inside. You just kind of have to feel around until you think you've found what you were looking for and hope for the best. Also, it's 22 Cubic Feet...for those of you who don't know refrigerator lingo (I only do because of my recent purchase), the best way for me to translate is SMALL!! Another issue is that this refrigerator is apparently tired of closing all the way. This can be an unfortunate discovery in the morning when you "open" it and realize it was already open and everything inside is lukewarm - and we all know what the Bible says about things that are lukewarm...moving on to sub-ultra frig 2...

This refrigerator was Hubby's frig, and guess what? He doesn't remember how old it is...yeah. It has its own set of issues, like not closing well (see above), this seems to be a common "disease" among old refrigerators, and the drawers don't open and close right anymore. And, most important of all, it's SUPER SMALL. So, all of this led us to making our recent big purchase.

After a couple of weeks of frig research (after the several months of discussion), we decided on this beautfiul stainless, Kenmore ELITE frig. Now, I don't know about you, but words are important to me, so when I saw ELITE written on the front of this frig, I was sold. I mean, who doesn't like ELITE, am I right? But, I was even more in love after checking it out. It's 31 Cubic Feet. Translation: BIG!!! It's laid out so that I can actually see everything on each shelf AND the light works so well that it's a little blinding.

It also has a brand new ice maker/water system that is supposed to be this cutting edge technology or something. All I know is that when I press the water button, water comes out - and I like that! I remember growing up and going over to certain "rich" friends' houses who had the little water thing on the front and just thinking they must be millionaires...the innocence of youth and all that...

Anyway, I really do love my new frig and am very thankful to have it. I'm even turning over a new leaf: I'm going to try and clean out my new frig EVERY WEEK!! Emphasis on the TRY. Check out the picture below.

My take is that sometimes it's the little things in life, like getting a new appliance, that help us to keep going. It just helps us somehow to keep working at being the best we can be and realizing that life is really good. I mean, I have a water doo-hicky, I must be a millionaire, right?

What's your take?



2 comments: