Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thanks, Guys

Our event was spectacular - maybe the best EVER!!

I wore the dress I spoke about yesterday - got lots of compliments and felt very SPECIAL. Everything about the event was good from the fabulous red fish stuffed with lump crab and rock shrimp, ("yes, any leftovers I'd be happy to take home,",) to the LIVE auction, (yes, it's what you're thinking) that I helped run, to the two fantastic speakers. I'll talk more about the speakers in a minute. Between the auction items, which included some fancy camoflouge rifle, Axis deer meat, and an Axis hunting weekend, God bless Texas, we hopefully raised lots of money to help women who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy situation.

I mentioned there were two speakers. The first was a beautiful young actress who played a role in the movie October Baby. She has a very powerful testimony and it was amazing that she was willing to stand before a crowd of 450 strangers and be so honest. I'm so thankful to have heard her.

The second speaker was a retired army Lieutant Colonel who was instrumental in hunting and capturing Saddam Hussein. With the event being on September 11th and the Lt. Colonel as the keynote speaker, our theme, of course, was patriotic. So, here we are seated among neighbors, red, white & blue decor, a HUMONGOUS American flag as the platform backdrop, listening to a true American patriot give intricate details of the capture of one of the world's most notorious dictators. To say that we were all on the edges of our seats would be a huge understatement. I think some of the men were even sweating and salivating.

The Lt. Colonel was a precious man and a very gifted speaker. But, one of his statements toward the end of his speech troubled me greatly. He said the military has been asked over the years to carry out these nearly impossible missions, not unlike capturing Hussein. But once these missions have been completed successfully, the military is met with cynicism, criticism, and disdain.

Now, I was not completely ignorant to this public opinion by any means. But, I guess hearing the Lt. Colonel speak about his most famous mission, THEN hearing those words come out his mouth was completely different. I actually felt ashamed. Not because I personally feel that way, it's quite the contrary, but just that ANYONE would have this attitude toward men and women who CHOOSE everyday to put themselves on the front lines of danger to ensure our freedom and the freedom of those who are unable to obtain it themselves.

I don't want to get into a huge public debate here, that's not what this blog is for. But, my take is this: no matter which side of the political machine you're on, I think it's important for us to remember that these people, our military men and women, sacrifice so much for us. For them to come home and not be honored just makes me sad. Regardless of whether we all agree on the war on terrorism or not, these are still men and women- PEOPLE- who, like all of us, are just doing their jobs. Except THEIR jobs could cost them their lives.

The Lt. Colonel, as I mentioned, is now retired, after 21 years of military service. Besides speaking, he founded an organization to help veterans successfully return to civilian life. He wants to provide them with the honor they deserve after the sacrifices they've made. And I want to do that same thing.

So, to all you military men and women out there, 11 years after our nation was changed forever AND in the wake of the assassination of a US Ambassador, I want to say thanks. I honor you, am grateful for you, and my prayers are with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment