Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Un-Project Files


Well, dang it, Riley is sick. He's been puny since Sunday and I was hoping it was just allergies, but I had to pick him up early from school yesterday with fever. After he'd tried to call twice, the school had called twice and he'd text me. Twice. My phone, as it were, was in my purse on silent while I was trying to help my mom with a "project." Yes, it looks like I have become "that" parent.

So, I'm taking him to the doctor today. At this point, I'm just praying it's not flu. He gets the flu every year, bless his heart, despite the fact that we take the flu shot. How unfair is that? Anyway, he may just have a sinus infection, which means he still feels lousy, but that he probably doesn't feel as lousy as he could AND he won't infect anyone else. Like me. Did I mention "bless his heart?"

About the "project" with Mom...yeah, EPIC FAIL. And, it was all my idea, I'm sad to say.

When I was in Colorado a few weeks ago, I came across these cute spiced mug mats. They are these little fabric squares with spices inside of them that you put your hot drink on and the heat makes the scent really come out. I'm using mine right now as I'm writing.

Anyway, my mother is a really good seamstress and she's always looking for a little gift for the ladies in her Bible study group, so I thought she and I could make these. The ladies would LOVE them!

Now, understand that when I say "she and I," I really mean HER making them at my house while I serve refreshments and say things like, "Yeah, those are looking great, Mom, good job!" Number 1: I am an encourager; Number 2: I do not sew. At all. No hemming or even buttons.

So, we went ahead with the before mentioned plan and it was doomed from the beginning. The potpourri Mom bought wouldn't crush up small enough. Then, I was supposed to be ironing on this fleece stuff, (I did end up with a simple job), I guess that was the heat part, and my iron kept powering off and not working well. Which I would've known if I EVER use my iron. Which, I don't.

Finally, Mom made an executive decision to save all this fabric stuff for next year, seeing how she needs these gifts this Thursday, and find something else. Like Hershey kisses inside little stockings, etc.

Then, next year, we'll attempt the spiced mug mats again a little earlier. And we'll use her iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment