Friday, December 21, 2012

Fun Friday: Christmas Baking Edition


So. You will all be happy to know that I have crossed back over to the land of the living. There were a few moments of transition yesterday, due to a SPLITTING headache, where I truly thought of just "running towards the light," but after a migraine pill and a few tablespoons of soup, I decided to stay. After all, it is Christmas.

I've spent the morning so far today and most of last night helping Robert and Riley get ready to leave with my dad for a weekend of hunting. Robert actually just drove off to get my dad, then pick Riley up from his very last mid-term. The only thing I can add is that, with my limited diet today, it's such a shame that I couldn't have had a glass of wine.

But, on the brighter side of things, it's only 4 days left til Christmas and I have the WHOLE WEEKEND to myself!!! HEY, HEY!!! I'm going to begin my celebration today by doing Christmas baking with my mom and my brother. And my brother's dogs.

We are going to make Christmas cookies and candy. I'm actually going to try 2 new recipes this year: Orange Capuccino fudge and Shortbread cookies. Then we'll probably make regular fudge and divinity, a family tradition. I haven't been able to do this with Paul in years, but we're doing it later this year, so it's worked out perfect. It should be loads of fun, very messy, and with yummy results. I'll take pictures, don't worry.

So, today's recipe is the Divinity I mentioned earlier. It's my grandma, MY MeMe's, recipe, and it's THE BEST. EVER. Everyone who eats it says so and they can't ALL be wrong. Here's my Meme's tip: you have to make it on a day that is low in humidity, with no rain. I don't know about your part of the world, but that can be a challenge around here. But, because God loves me and I've been sick, it's in the upper 30's here today and sunny. Thanks, God, I love Ya!

Have a great weekend, get your shopping done, you're almost out of time. Oh, yeah! My dad fixed my lights again! Love, love him!

Divinity

Ingredients:

5 C sugar
1 C light corn syrup
1 C water
2 egg whites, room temperature
smidge of salt
2 C chopped nuts, we use walnuts
1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in 3 qt. pan. Bring to a boil on high, stirring. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and continue boiling until temperature is around 238-240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
2. Place egg whites in large mixing bowl. Beat until foamy, then add salt. Beat until peaks form.
3. Once syrup combo has reached 240 degrees on candy thermometer, slowly pour it into beaten egg whites. Beat until mixture holds its shape and loses gloss (about 20-25 minutes by hand. This is the hard part, by the way.)
4. Fold in chopped nuts and vanilla.
5. Drop onto aluminum foil in spoonfuls. May have to "set" for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment