Friday, August 17, 2012

Small Town Fashion

I owe today's post to having to mow the grass.

Normally, my 15-year-old does the mowing, but he is sick right now, the grass is still growing,  so I decided to just do it. It was just the backyard, so I threw on some old, non-matching workout clothes, tennis shoes with holes in them, grabbed my iPhone and headphones, and trudged out to the garage. After pulling the push mower out, (yes, I said "push mower"), I was irritated to find that the mower had very little gas.

Now, I had a dilemma: do I go back into the house, change into clothes that at least match  (and fit better, see yesterday's post) and cover my bed head with a cap just to drive to the gas station to get two gallons of gas, or do I go like I am and hope for the best? Well, I live in a small town and in my small town, there is a Super Wal-Mart. Remembering the "fashion" I had seen worn by people there, I decided I didn't look all that bad. So, I ventured on to the gas station.

I pulled in beside a gas pump in the HEB parking lot and immediately noticed two younger, fit looking men apparently getting gas for their boat. "Great,"  I thought, " of course." I quickly ducked out of my car, practically crawling to the pump, when I noticed the two guys looking pretty intently towards the check-out station.

I nonchalantly peeked toward the station and saw a young woman standing there, wearing short pink shorts and a pink tank top with what appeared to be some kind of fur stripes. I was just rolling my eyes, wondering why I had been concerned at all about my outfit, when I noticed the "fur stripes" on the woman's shirt appeared to be moving. That's when I realized the woman didn't have stripes on her shirt at all, she was holding a monkey! 

Yes, ladies, it was a REAL monkey. I was shocked. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a real monkey, except at the ZOO! 

So, of course, my mind instantly fills with questions: where does a person even get a monkey these days? Who would want a monkey for a pet, they're supposed to be filthy animals? Does she always bring it with her to the gas station? If so, WHY?

So, in light of my fascinating experience, I have 2 questions for you: first, what's your take on going out in public not "put together?" Is it OK to go out and about in work-out clothes and unshowered or should we always look our best while in public?

Secondly, what's the strangest animal you've ever seen in public? 

For me, I'd have to say MOST of the time, if I'm not just zipping out or in the middle of a project, I do try to look fairly put together when going out in public.

....uh, yeah, the monkey...

That's my take, what's yours?

5 comments:

  1. Well, to answer these two thought provoking questions, I had to think way back to many many years ago. I'll answer the second questions first. When Shawn and I were dating, we took a road trip to Beaumont (yes, Beaumont!!!) Living in Lake Charles, everyone always came to Beaumont to shop and eat (strikes me funny now!). We were on I10 headed west and came up on a car that had something sticking out the back window. As we got closer, we both knew this something was not quite normal to be traveling in the back seat of a normal car on I10 - it was a CAMEL! Not even lying. If only we would've had a camera (like nowadays where a camera is readily available on any iphone!). The camel's head was sticking out the back of the window and the rest of its body was in the car - unbelievable!!! The many cars around us were slowing down, looking, probably wondering the same thing we were - how in the world do you get a camel in the back of a car?? So, that's my most unusual animal sighting. As for the first question - I do try to put myself together when heading out, depending on the task of the day. But I assure you, if I had been in your situation needing gas, I would've headed out "as is"!! Love your new blog - brings a smile to my face!! Love you my dear friend :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. no way!!!! A monkey?!!!???!! That's just too much for me...now, my mom and brothers had a monkey when they were kids....and Mike and his siblings had a monkey...but they only kept it for a short time and all I heard was how mean and dirty/nasty they are. So, nope, will never have a monkey!! They are kinda freaky!!
    As far as what I wear,...I try most days to look put together~I feel better when I am dressed and at least look like I am trying! LOL...but if it's a day when I have been sick or am cleaning ,then nope...not gonna happen on that day. And I think you always look cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, no way!! That's worse than the monkey!! Thanks for the comments, guys, tunein Monday for my next post and tell all your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm not mistaken, a home school family in Lumberton owns a monkey. :) Maybe that's the one you saw!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My take on monkeys? My only experience is with a spider monkey my uncle owned when I was little. We won't discuss how many years ago that was. I spent an entire day trying to catch the durn thing so I could pet it. When I finally gave up and headed into the house it dropped out of the trees onto my back and scared me spitless. Not a really positive experience.
    As to the fashion question about what to wear: I refer you to Stacy and Clinton...as in what NOT to wear. ;)
    And one more thing, you have no idea how much trouble I had to go to in order to be allowed to comment on your blog. That said, I applaud your warmth and wit and willingness to tackle such a tremendous undertaking. Go Sherra!!

    ReplyDelete